Monday, August 25, 2014

Fail... I'm sure it won't be the last time.


Our ipad has stopped charging...  The cord seems to get bent when it's plugged in and I think that's where the problem lies.  In any case, we needed a replacement cord as we use the ipad a lot.  We bought a GPS this past weekend (a good one, the same brand we had in the States) and I was confident that we could get there, shop, eat, play and get home.  The kids and I were excited to have an adventure together and we were pumped to get out during the day (we mainly stay in because of the heat)...

We got ready, I cooled the car, and we were off.  The GPS located the mall and the directions weren't too hard.  Driving here doesn't scare me after living in Morocco and driving there.  We got started and were having no problems; on the highway, off the highway, and then...  Pippie, the GPS quit..  Just black screen...  I was at a major roundabout and had NO idea where to go.  Luckily it was busy, so I called A thinking someone there could help me... no answer (they are in trainings).  I took a chance and turned right.  Somehow I managed to get onto another highway and took the first exit to the right again...  I have NO directional sense here yet and very little in the way of landmarks to go on.  I pulled off at a printing company and called A over and over until he answered. 

He was next to one of the principals who has been here for years.  I'd like to say he knew exactly where I was, but alas... no.  I decided to start driving again, to see if I could get on a main road or something the guy would recognize...  The kids were silent the entire time and I could tell they were nervous, but I couldn't stop what I was doing to reassure them...  I was being hyper vigilant for police because it's illegal to be on a cell phone (...really what other choice did I have???).  Finally, I found a street he recognized, which took me to a street that I recognized!  Landmarks!  YES!!  P actually saw one of the big landmarks and exclaimed, "MOM, LOOK I SEE THE TREE PLACE!!"  We all breathed a sigh of relief as we rounded the final roundabout, passed the fire station, and drove down our familiar street.

So, what do you do when you've just had a pretty intense time of stress?  We did what anyone would do... Stopped at our familiar Lulu's grocery and stocked up on yummies!  Came home and ate dessert first!  (That's honestly the first time I've ever let them do it, and they were pumped!)

When A gets home, we are going to figure out how to get to the mall, get the stuff we headed out for (ipad cord, printer, food processor, mixer...), and I'm driving...  All roads can lead you home, but I've gotta figure out how to make it there and back for my own peace of mind..

Relieved to be home and ready to eat their treats!

The princesses had to join us.

Mommy's peach treat.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, you got home, which is a huge success! You are awesome and deserve to eat dessert first!

    ReplyDelete