Saturday, March 1, 2014

Making hummus




Tonight was lentils and rice night for us.  P and M love it and A and I do too.  I make the lentils and rice with caramelized onions, then throw in some fresh hummus and Lebanese bread.  So good.  I had this meal for the first time when we lived in N. Africa.  A friend invited a bunch of teachers over for lunch and served us a ton of "traditional" Palestinian foods.  To be honest, many M. Eastern countries claim the same cuisine as their own food, but I don't mind.. it's delicious.  Oddly, my kids won't eat sandwiches, but they love lentils and rice. 

So, I was making the hummus (I used canned beans - shame on me!); I squeezed the lemon, stirred the tahini, went to open the can and the can opener would not move more than an inch.  It started to frustrate me as I pried the can open and could only get a few out at a time.  I immediately began calculating how many times I might make this meal before we leave (in right around 6 months).  I needed to see if a new can opener would be "worth it."  The food processor whirled around as I decided it was most certainly not worth it as we probably wouldn't ship it. 

The bottom right.. That was my hummus can exactly!


Then I caught myself.  "I'm doing it again," I thought.  I'm forgetting that we still have 6 months to live, 6 months to learn and grow, and 6 months to eat hummus!  I know that sometimes I get so caught up in what's about to happen that I forget to live in today and forget all the charms that today will have.  I realized I've been doing that in other areas too.  I packed up my home school units last week as I was organizing the storage room in which they are kept.  They aren't packed away by any means, but rather organized into totes by theme.  There's no issues with getting them out except that I keep deciding it "isn't worth it." 

It IS worth it.  If I "check out" too early, everyone around me will do the same.  Days will get long and boring, I will not leave this season of life well.  I've been overseas, I've seen this happen and it's not fun for anyone around the person.  I have to stay engaged (even while packing, organizing, selling two homes, and being otherwise absorbed with this move). 

The hummus was great.  It will be even easier next time with the can opener that I put on my "to do" list this week.  I may pack that can opener just as a reminder to myself every time I use it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment