Saturday, June 21, 2014

What I expect.

I asked a friend what she'd like to see as a topic on here.  She asked me what my expectations are for living in Qatar.. It isn't something I've thought too much about consciously.  Of course we all have expectations, I've just been so busy with "the move" that I hadn't thought about them.

My first thought was, Morocco. I expect Morocco. Qatar and Morocco are both Muslim, Arab, Monarchies, on the coast.  Morocco is really my only frame of reference for overseas living. The five years I spent there were, by far, the most influential of my life.  It was my first time being truly on my own. I had to learn everything from going to the doctor to buying apples, in a language that I was also learning.  I had to accept that things were different (not bad...different) and choose to make different normal.  I had to learn and learn and learn some more.  I loved learning that I shouldn't show the bottoms of my feet (don't prop one foot up while waiting, exposing the sole of your foot to the person behind).  It was a little thrill each time I got an Arabic and or French greeting correct.  I enjoyed learning how to eat real Moroccan cuisine, with the right hand.  My mind was always anticipating, always growing, and I grew to love it.

Upon arriving back in the states, things were hard for me, there were too many types of hand lotion and I couldn't figure out what brand of toilet paper to buy.  Things seemed so loud and fast and I spent days hanging out inside.  I adapted, of course, and things became easy.  Too easy.

The thought of going back overseas brings Morocco back to the forefront of my thoughts. I dug up a bunch of pictures that encompass my thoughts at the moment. Want to see some??  Ok, just a few...

Driving..  Oh the adventure.

I'm expecting the driving to be crazy.  It was in Morocco, C-R-A-Z-Y..  (Kinda fun though.)  I've never seen people make 8 lanes out of 4, turn left from a far right lane, or use their hands to "wave in" to traffic vs. a blinker.  But... it works.  I'm sure that Qatari driving will be different, but the crazy will be there. 

The quickest and cheapest way to get around the city.
The beautiful coast from the sky.  Taken the last time I flew away.
Veggie and fruit market.  Love..


I loved open air markets in Morocco.  I appreciate the large one-size-fits all, "we have everything" stores here too, but I loved open air markets.  When I would walk into the market, I knew "my" veggie guy, "my" fruit guy, and "my" flower guys.  They watched out for us, gave us "good prices," and were friendly faces among [often] irritating groups of men.  I loved choosing from crates and crates of vibrant color.  I hope I get to do that again, but shopping inside isn't all bad either.  I've heard there's a mix of both and I'm hoping so. 

Yes, it's a camel head.  Always an adventure in the market places.
Leather dying.  Centuries old traditions.  Amazing.

I expect differences between Qatar and Morocco.  Historically, Qatar was made up of Bedouin Nomads with only a few small fishing villages.  Over time, the country has evolved and grown with the discovery of oil and natural gas.   As far as I can gather from reading about the history of Qatar, it is only in the past few generations that Qataris have gone from a nomadic life to one of being settled in cities.  (correct me here if I'm off base)  The city of Doha (the main city) is a very modern city, though I hear they have made an "old city" within the city.  I'm interested to see a new "old city."

Blue city.
Fabulous architecture and colors.  So lovely.
And oh the food..   Rafeesa (chicken, lentils, sauce over msmn).

I'm wondering if the culture will be rich, colorful, and flavorful.  I know Qatar has about 250,000 nationals, but there are just over 2 million people in the country.  I'm expecting a variety of people and cultures, as the expats out number the nationals by a lot.  I 'm hoping that with A working at a school with all Qataris, we will be able to meet and enjoy some families and be introduced to their culture.  I want to need to use Arabic phrases (though French is the first thing off my tongue aside from English).  I hope the families make us. 


The last time I lived overseas I was single teacher.  I return to overseas life as a wife and mother who home schools.  This time, life is about helping P and M adjust, learn, and thrive.  I'm thinking about home school materials, art supplies, kid-friendly places to play, books, and playmates.  Secondarily, I'm thinking about where to get my hair done (I ended up looking like a starlight mint peppermint once in Morocco), making friends, and figuring out what's for dinner.  I am keenly aware that my reactions will set the tone for how they perceive various situations.  They are allowed to struggle, we are allowed to have, "culture stress" moments or days, but remembering that things are "different," not bad will help tremendously. 

It is an exciting time to be sure.  I'm looking forward to revisiting this post months (and years) down the road to see what I think of what I thought..  Should be interesting.







No comments:

Post a Comment